google analytics tracking code

a spot to sit, a place to rest a book


You may remember a little while ago I asked for your help in deciding what I should do with some lovely Florence Broadhurst fabric in a sunny yellow colour.  I had been thinking of using it to upholster an ottoman and maybe a cushion or two, but I thought I would throw the question out there to see what you would come up with.  There were some wonderful suggestions, headboards, pelmets, lampshades, quilts, euro pillows....  I seriously considered Engracia's suggestion to cover a bedhead for our guest bedroom, that really would have been a wow piece. Being the greedy one I am however, I wanted to have the fabric somewhere we could see it all the time and we just don't visit the guest room very often.   


Many of you liked the idea of upholstering an ottoman in this fabric so I went ahead and ordered a couple of these cylindrical ottomans which serve very nicely as a side tables as well as a stool for extra guests. The second ottoman was upholstered in a green fabric which I will share another day (it came up a treat, and is my husbands favourite).  These little ottomans are so handy as a side table, they became a place to rest my tissue box when I was sick last week and a spot for my books and magazines.  



Recently I found a great tutorial on how to cover a lampshade so I plan to take up Jane's suggestion to cover a lampshade in the leftover fabric.  I picked up this old lamp at a Salvos store on the weekend to revamp, the base is terracotta with a beautiful basketweave pattern.  A spray of glossy white paint on the base should have it looking pretty special, I hope. I'm not sure if I will use this fabric for the shade or another fabric which is white with a green bamboo pattern on it (like the cushion on the chair above, but in green). Which do you think would look best, perhaps I should paint the base first then decide? Has anyone made a lampshade before?  I'm trying to track down the polypropylene which you use on the inside of the lampshade (to protect and give the fabric strength).  I would love some tips on where to find this or any lampshade making tips in general??


I have also thought about resurrecting the sewing machine to see if it is in a better mood at the moment.  Last time I tried to learn to sew the thread kept on breaking and the bobbin had to be rethreaded constantly.  When learning it helps if things go smoothly otherwise I tend to give up!  If I manage to have any extra fabric left over from the lampshade I would love to make a simple tote bag.  It may be easier than trying to sew a zip into a cushion with my limited skills, ha! 


Image:  Olive & Joy

10 comments:

  1. The ottoman looks stunning!

    Learning to sew is definitely on my to-do list, and mastering threading the machine is the hardest part! I really need to sign myself up for some lessons. I have dreams of doing something fabulous with my own little stash of Florence Broadhurst fabric, but until I’ve got a lot of practice under my belt I’ll be far too scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylie - It is very scary sewing lovely fabric when my sewing skills suck, so I know exactly how you feel. I would really love to learns to sew well, not being able to holds me back so much creatively. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love what you've done with the ottoman - it just looks fabulous! I'm sorry I can't help with the lampshade, though - wish I knew myself but I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty fabulous ottoman !
    First time stoppin in and can't wait to catch up!

    Vie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vie - thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie .. the ottoman looks so lovely. I read back on your old blog you got them from Urban Sofa Gallery .. I went to their website but coulnd't see them. Do they still sell them? They would be soooo nice in my home (maybe you just don't need yours anymore??????). Oh, and thanks for joining my blog .. you are too kind!! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda, yes they are from Urban Sofa Gallery. I supplied the fabric and they made them up for me - how good is that! They can supply fabric from Warwick, Verve, Mokum etc. Unfortunately their website is so not representative of how great the store is, and no, the ottoman isn't on there. But it is a current item and they call them 'pods'. They cost approx $110 plus fabric for one which I think is pretty reasonable considering it is a custom product. They also come in a cube shape. I imagine they could post them Aust wide. Wouldn't they look fab in your fabrics under one of your umbrellas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda - ps. Signature Prints (the company that sells Florence Broadhurst fabric) are having a sale at their warehouse this weekend. If you live interstate like I do you can request them to email you a list of sale items. Very dangerous stuff! And if there is something you really want not on the list just ring and ask - this is how I bought the yellow Circles & Squares fabric and it was less than half price!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie .. you are a treasure. I am going to ring USG on Monday ..and yes, your thinking re: my fabrics is just what I was thinking. I would love some in our new outdoor room (yet to be built - but will be done for this summer hopefully) and in the lounge would be good to. They look so great in your house. I am heading to Signatreu prints now too. You are TOO TOO GOOD!! Have a great weekend (-:

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Ottoman is very impressively made, and a perfect application for that loverly fabric. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment!