google analytics tracking code

sliding doors

My husband and I have planned to install a sliding door to the entrance to our TV room downstairs for the last year or so. We had extra supports put in the wall when we were building the house so that the door could hang from the top of the wall.  It is going to be quite the large door - 1.75 metres x 2.4 metres - so the extra support was very much needed.  We would like to make a feature of the door, which will face onto our main hallway near the front door and stairwell. One idea I had was to have a pattern laser cut into some kind of material, say MDF, and have a contrasting backing panel on the back. I stumbled across this image from Lonny again which gave me the idea to put mirror on the back. Sneaky isn't it, I only just clued onto the fact that was mirror behind the lattice pattern. 



I quite love this pattern too. I contacted a company yesterday who does laser cutting and had some quotes with laser cut MDF (which would then be spray painted to whatever colour I select), with either an acrylic back or painted MDF back. I also had a quote with the pattern on both sides with an acrylic or MDF core (are you still with me, sorry I know pictures would help!) But that was not within our budget, though I know it would look amazing. 


But seeing this image above this morning, I'm quite loving the idea of a white painted laser cut panel with a mirrored back. I will have to see if the company can do this for us.  


ps.  Here are some of the patterns I have been looking to choose from.  I would love to know which one is your favourite? 





Images:  Lonny & CutOut

11 comments:

  1. That will look fantastic. If it were me, it would be a toss up between the first image (honeycomb/diamond) or the squares. But I don't think you could go wrong with any of them really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning idea - I am sure these are going to look beautiful in your home. Can't wait to see the results. Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great idea. we use lots of laser cut HDG with work, so i love it.

    another option to mirror would be anodised aluminium.

    you could probably get away with a lighter (cheaper) panel if you have a structural frame. You could even use poly carb sheeting, so no need to paint, but you'd be stuck with the colour for good. same goes for very light powder coated steel.

    sorry - probably more feedback than you wanted :)

    jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. jules - no, don't be silly, the more feedback the better! With the anodised aluminium I wouldn't have to worry about mirror breaking so that is a great idea, thank you. I'm still considering the acrylic too as I like the idea of the light glowing through at night. Hmmm... lots to think about. Thanks Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would love to see how this turns out, always thought something like this (minus the mirror) would be a good screen for outdoors.

    but the 3rd one, from what i've seen of you're home. or the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, what a choice. I think, after much consideration, that number 3 is my pick. Good luck - it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm.. think i like the top left one the most & then the bottom left one next. i guess it depends on how much mirror compared to solid mdf you want. can't wait to see the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I saw you on Monica Rose's Blog. I wanted to invite you to follow my blog. I developed the idea for "Featured Followers by Elle © " where I promote my followers. Check out my blog @ www.edkdolce.blogspot.com
    *Elle

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1st or 3rd one, depending on how much mirror you want :) and white, i think any other colour would be a bit overwhelming

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I love the mirror backing idea, and I really like the top left pattern, its quite striking, yet has a nice softness to it that I think would work well. What an excellent idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant idea! i like the two patterns on the left side, the 1st and 3rd :)

    please check out my blog! http://www.lucia-rose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment!