google analytics tracking code

sneak peek at lamp revamp


A little peek at the progress of the op shop lamp I have taken on the task of revamping.  You may remember the lamp base was a tuscan terracotta number that looked like this.  A few coats (quite a few coats!) of spray paint and it is now a beautiful, glossy white basketweave lampbase. That was the easy part. 

Tracking down the elusive polypropylene sheet that you glue the fabric to, to give the lampshade shape and strength - that, my friends, was a task in itself. But find it we did, at a plastics supplier, although it is probably not the right colour or thickness (too thick, not opaque enough) it will do for now. It is just a pity I stocked up on 4 sheets of it! 


I was planning on using the fabric above for the shade but do you think I can get the pattern to sit correctly on my tapered shade? Nope. I think I bit off more than I could chew for my first foray into lampshade making with this pattern so I have decided to be kind to myself and use a fabric with a more forgiving pattern. So, the green bamboo fabric it is - I think it will look great with the base, don't you?


I've cut my base stock (polypropylene) to shape using the original shade as a stencil so tonight I will cut the fabric to this shape also allowing a little extra to fold over the edges. I am going to give the original lampshade frame a spray with new paint as it is looking a little worse for wear. When I have finished this project I hope to show a little step-by-step tutorial on how to make a lampshade.  I found a great tutorial that I will also link to, which I have used as a reference for making my shade. Hopefully it will turn out ok, wish me luck!

Images:  Olive & Joy

7 comments:

  1. Clever cookie! This is going to look amazing. I'm tempted to re-do a couple of my shades now. Can't wait to see it all finished.

    When I painted the lamp based for my son's room I was actually looking for a pineapple shaped base and couldn't find any. I might keep on looking. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lamp base has come up a treat - it's a great shape and the bamboo fabric is perfect. I'm sure it will look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Viv - I love pineapple bases too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so impressed. The base is transformed and I love the new fabric too - shame about the yellow print but I can see how tricky it would have been to get it right. Good luck with the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is the yellow fabric you decided not to use? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miranda, the fabric is called Circles & Squares by Florence Broadhurst and the colour is Sunspot. I love it too!

    You can view and buy it here:
    www.signatureprints.com.au (look in the Fabrics - Home Collection)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment!