google analytics tracking code

then and now



My Mum's store back in the seventies and how it looks today. I must admit it broke my heart a little to see it all closed up and looking unloved. So much potential! Although it was one of many stores that were left empty and unloved in this town.  On the weekend we drove to Yarraman, a small country town a few hours northwest of Brisbane in preparation for my Grandma's funeral on Monday. It was quite the nostalgic trip, visiting places and seeing people we hadn't seen for a long time.

I spent the first year of my life in this country town (though of course I don't remember that far back). We lived in the home my great-grandparents once lived in. Before I came along my Mum ran her own store as you can see above. My grandfather owned the General Store next door (which you can just see the side of on the very right of the first photo) and he bought my Mum this store for herself. So we have a history of store owners in our family, no wonder I long to have my own store one day!

I always imagine owning a store fronting onto a street just like my mother's store above. Perhaps one day I will, but for now I have my sights on opening my own online store although I would still love it to have the charm and experience that you have when you visit an in-the-flesh store.

Last week I applied to register my business name Olive & Joy and I received my certificate this week saying it had been approved. My grandmother had given me some money earlier in the year and I put it aside for just this purpose, so this was one last nod to her. She would be proud I'm sure, she admired business people greatly and loved the bustle of activity in her husband's store. There is so much to dream, plan, and do, but fingers crossed we will be up and running by the end of the year. 

Images:  Olive & Joy

6 comments:

  1. Hi Julie. What a small world. One of my good friends is also from Yarraman. I'm also sure your grandmother would be proud of your new business, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

    Also, when you get a moment, swing by my blog. I've nominated you for an award, which I'd love for you to accept.
    http://myflyingducks.blogspot.com/2010/07/woo-i-got-award-for-blogging.html

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylie - Wow, such a small world. Thank you for the award, I've got a lot of blog reading to catch up on :)
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Julie, What a lovely story and how wonderful that your grandmother has helped inspire your new business venture. I love the name - you go girl! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful story. I hope you get your store one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo of your mum's store is so lovely. The name. The font. The simplicity.

    My condolences to your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your gran passing, but what lovely plans to keep the family tradition going.

    That second image reminds me of a place i lived in when i was at Ag college eons ago. It was an old shop attached to a house, and i rented the shop part. was so cool, the closest i'll get to that NYC loft feel. huge ceilings - i kept a huge tree in a pot. it was a small town, and one of my grandfathers lived in the same town too, driving down the main drag in his old EJ. {got the shock of my life to see the town in mcleods daughters once - was probably the only time i ever watched it!hehe}

    v.excited to hear more about your business! jxx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment!