google analytics tracking code

chick-sitting





Quite by surprise, we are chick-sitting for the next 5 days.  And loving it! Her name is Chloe and she is about a week old and boy is she cute (by the way, the sex is not confirmed, for all we know this could be a rooster called Chloe, lol). We have had her for less than a day and she has grown in that time, I am sure of it. I had to do a quick internet cram session last night on how to care for little chicks as this all came about very last minute.




Our cousin's little girl brought her home from kindy yesterday, but they had already planned to go away on holiday so asked if we could care for her in the meantime. Don't get me started on how little information the kindy armed them with for looking after a baby chicken. I was petrified last night because we didn't have a heat lamp to keep her all toasty warm. I didn't sleep that well last night - if she was chirping I thought she was cold and when she wasn't I was worried she had died from cold. We have kept her in the downstairs bathroom with the heat lamps from the exhaust fan on and a hot water bottle and it seems to be keeping nice and warm in there. 



We even went outside for a little play whilst we changed her litter. One of our cats Bella is quite amused with this new addition. Don't worry I kept her in my sight at all times, no chicken dinner for you Bella. This little chick is becoming quite attached to me, she has little happy chirps when she sees me but then when I leave the room she chirps at top of her little birdy lungs. Oh dear I think, she thinks I'm her mummy. Appropriate considering my dad has always called me Chooks. When she gets big she is going to live on acreage with other chickens. 



Images:  Olive & Joy

16 comments:

  1. Oh, how sweet. And how lovely that you're looking after her so well! Even by the time I'd read done to the bottom photo it looked as if she'd grown!

    Snazzy coop, too! Good luck, Mother Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, how will you part with her/him? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same as Thea. Isn't s/he adorable? Also, I think Bella has got KFC on the brain in that last shot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is by far the cutest thing i've seen all week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute, ever since I told ruby she has been wanting to go for a visit to meet Chloe. She can't wait for her visit on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like all babies, chicks are pretty adorable. You sound like a very good chick "mommy".
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe is so darn cute! I would be so nervous to watch her, but you seem to have the knack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are doing a great job as 'chick sitters'. Love the photo's. Especially the last one! Poor Bella, she must be very confused about the new addition/possible prey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! Chickens are very good at adopting other creatures as their parents - I remember it happening when I was a child and had some choocks. I like the pics with your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up on a farm and used to love it when we got little baby chickens. Your right they do grow up really quickly, not to mention poop everywhere! Your doing the right thing keeping her inside and warm at night and outside with the grass and bugs at day. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how adorable! Love the photo with your cat 'keeping watch'. I remember when I was little, my sister brought home a baby chicken from kindy to be kept in my Grandpa's chook pen - only to later discover it was actually a rooster :) Have a fun weekend with your cute little friend x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How will you ever give her back!?!? x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh - she is getting sooo big! I don't know how I will give her back :( So cute when she follows me around, getting under my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable. Love the photo with Bella. (At work can't log in as me sorry about the anonymous log in). Charmaine from www.fairchildstreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that is so adorable. One time I had a pet rooster named Charlie. He was such a sweetheart :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my, so cute. and that first picture is just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment!